Week 2: Snow, Sun, and Answered Prayer!

This week went well but to me it has felt more like two weeks instead of just one. Last Saturday, Lucas and Addisyn left for family vacation with Mappy, Pappy, and Mema. Every year the Youngbar family tries to go on vacation together and this trip was scheduled last summer after Kierstyn was born. Unfortunately, this year many of us were unable to go but I'm glad the kids could get away for a week of fun. It was sad for the kids and me to say goodbye. They have been away without us before but with everything going on, it made it more difficult. They had a great time and enjoyed the sunshine and flip flops! Now that they are home, Addy is disappointed that she has to wear shoes again.

On Monday, we had more snow which made me all the more envious of the pictures Deb (Mappy) sent of the kids in their bathing suits at the pool. The roads weren't too bad to travel to Baltimore and my friends, Robin and Bethany, were willing to take me. After leaving early and having a longer commute than usual, we arrived safely at Johns Hopkins. However, when we arrived, we were told the machine was down and I wasn't able to do my radiation treatment that evening. I am thankful for the time I got to spend with my dear friends, especially before Bethany left to go home to Tennessee.

On Tuesday, I was not feeling well and I ended the day with a migraine. Josh went with me and I am thankful that he takes such good care of me! It was the first follow up with my Radiation Oncologist since starting my treatments. Everything is going well and I did find out I will be having 33 radiation treatments and that I will make up the treatment I missed on Monday at the end. Also, my labs look great this week. The nurse told me that if anything is off with my labs, even a little, that it shows up yellow in the computer system. I had no yellow at all and she said that hardly ever happens! Praise God! I wasn't sure how my body would be affected by the Chemotherapy so after one week, I'm feeling encouraged by my results.

On Tuesday, we also were able to start staying in the apartment in Baltimore. It is absolutely beautiful and very close to the hospital. It helped to not have to travel every day and today I am not as tired as I have been. When we first met with Oncology at Johns Hopkins, they encouraged me to find housing in the city because as my treatment progresses, I will get more and more tired. There are housing options for cancer patients but there are waiting lists, costs involved, and my children would not be able to stay with me. I told Josh I would love to find a place that is private and a place where the kids could come and visit me. We were unsure of how this would be possible but we know Our God can do more than we can ask or imagine. He did just that and provided in an unexpected way, a two bedroom apartment, with plenty of room for the kids to be with me!

The most difficult part of the week was not being with my kids. I cried several times because I missed them so much! When I knew I was going to be away for days without seeing the kids I started filming them with my phone doing normal things around the house. Kierstyn trying to crawl, Addy playing tea party and dancing, Lucas building with Legos and helping his sisters. All these moments are part of our daily life but we don't think much of them at the time. One night I spent time watching them and they brought a smile to my face. I am excited the week is over and I am able to spend time with my family!

I'm thankful to have another week finished! There were times this week when I was sad but there were also times when I was excited! God is answering prayers and working in so many ways. I know that I have cancer but I have an even greater God! He is my Joy! I pray that God continues to get all the glory in this situation.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Ephesians 3:20, 21 NIV)